Info in English
IT-forum Sogn og Fjordane was established in 1995 as an organisation where private and public sectors, research and education could work together to create an IT region. IT forum perform a comprehensive effort to initiate, coordinate and ensure key development activities for the benefit of the whole county.
In 1996 IT-forum became a foundation for the collaboration with local projects and European projects. It has become the focal point of both the national and European community.
This was confirmed in 1997/98 when Sogn og Fjordane was the pilot in KOSTRA and the county was chosen as a Norwegian pilot-region in St.meld. nr. 38 (1997/98). From 1998 Sogn og Fjordane was a pilot-region in the EU through the TITAN-project, this project was later followed by the ODIN Mobile project.
Key focus areas ahead:
1) Continue the heavy investment in digital government.
2) Continue the cooperation on the development of broadband services with municipalities in the county.
3) Continue to develop activities together with businesses in the county.
4) Develop cooperation in health information technology
5) Increased use of ICT-based aid within the school system
The development of broadband is an important initiative:
- Since 2003, the cost-sharing between the public and private sector funded several hundred million for broadband expansion.
- Broadband Forum developed the strategic plan for broadband in the S & Fj adopted by S & Fj county. The plan has the following target: Minimum 100 Mbit / s synchronous communication to all companies and at least 30 Mbit / s to households in the county for the same price as in central areas by 2020.
- The business world's demands for new services and low cost households and their requirements for high capacity and services as for example triple play (broadband - telephone - television) to seal key. Prices and services should be at least as good as the national average. This is also the guidelines that are included in the proposal for a broadband strategy for Sogn og Fjordane. Although this plan is technology neutral, our "final" goal a county where everyone has fiber connection at home.
- IT forum Sogn og Fjordane has also taken the initiative to launch the National Breibandråd, where no most counties are included.
Local and European commerce
Norwegian and European pilot-region
IT-forum Sogn og Fjordane has started the 4th phase; e-county Sogn og Fjordane, where the former phases are used as the foundation for an evolutional strategy with ICT as the primary force.